Monday, August 2, 2010

what kids watch

What is it about what kids watch these days? The shows are crazy. Like have you ever watched Dora? Are our kids mentally challenged or deaf because she says everything 4 times. And well she just has bad luck to run into so many obstacles on each mission. Then there is things like Yo Gabba Gabba... um smoke pot much!? But the worst are the things like Hi 5 where the girls dress and dance sexy or the Fresh Beat Band with 30 somethings dancing to tragic choreography. What are these grown adults doing? And the bigger question why do our kids love them so?
I know I hear you saying it! Don't let her watch it. I agree. But in our crazy life tv has become a necessity for her safety. There are times in the day when I am breast feeding our baby or trying to get him to sleep where I just need her to be in one place. So here I am watching these people who just seem way to old to be doing this stupid dance. And she is happy. There are some shows which are surprisingy educational and some that make me laugh so hard (Peep).
We tried to be the type of parents who didn't let our daughter watch tv but in the end I realized we would have been raising an outcast. All her friends watch it so when they ask her who she likes on bla bla she can answer. What I do know is kids can be brutal so why give them more ammo. Tv is not the same now as it was when we were kids. My daughter knows chinese thank you Kai Lan, she knows what a giganotosaurus is thank you Dinosaur Train. I can't say I could do that at 4. And when we were kids the characters were all trying to kill, maim or eat each other. Remember the one with the sheep dog and the wolf? And if they weren't doing that they were super sexy.. hello  Josie and the Pussycats! I would take Peep any day. Everything in moderation I guess.
So if it means an extra half hour of sleep or a quiet undisturbed meal for my 3 month old then bring on the tv!

No comments:

Post a Comment