Saturday, October 9, 2010

BLTs

There are many classic sandwich options out there in deli land but the BLT is in my opinion the best possible choice. It is beautiful in its simplicity. Bread, Bacon, Mayo, Lettuce and Tomato and that is it. What I love is how many ways you can make those things taste so good but this classic is also easy to ruin. There is the school of crunchy overcooked crumbly bacon (yuck) and the school of the bun... what, or the bastards who put cheese on it and even some people who don't want mayo (!). Well, I mean this in the nicest possible way but you people are wrong!
Stop it!
Recently I have been subjected to some of the worst BLTs ever... grrr its just not that hard. 4 things on a sandwich. But seriously could people please stop murdering the bacon. Cooked till slightly crispy but still chewy please. Otherwise it is like eating a sandwich filled with salad toppings. I have my way of liking my BLT on toasted wheat, thick bacon, good tomato and plain lettuce, and the best mayo available. That is just me. I can appreciate the bun(?) or white bread, or not toasted and even fancy lettuce but this thing with the bacon bits is not ok. In fact one of the best BLTs I have ever had was from the Burgermeister in Seattle which is on white bread and it is not toasted but grilled on the flat top with the bacon and burger grease... ummm so good, so good! So I can deviate from my standard but don't ask me to enjoy some crazy ass double decker monster with cheese on it. That is not a BLT. I now request a sign on the deli door declaring the condition of your bacon so I know where to go for a real sandwich.
So please stop effing with my bacon and enjoy your sandwiches bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment